Banks Township Planning Commission

Regular Meeting Agenda

June 13, 2017

6:00 p.m.



  1. Call to Order: 6:05 by Chair Miles


2. Roll/ Recognition of visitors:

Present: Miles, Austin, Cooper, Parafin, Wieland

Absent: none

Also present: Irene Shooks, Andy Veenstra, Claire Karner, Warren Nuffer, Jeff Cook, Bill Hott, Gene Kasmer, Nancy Hersha, Gary & Carolyn Starin, Lee Wollgast, Jarris Rubingh, Marv Rubingh

3. Approval of Minutes: May 9, 2017 Meeting MMS by Wieland, Parafin to approve May Minutes. MC

4. Public Hearings: none

5. Public comment on non-agenda items:



6. Response and comment from commissioners:


7. Reports:

Zoning board of Appeals: no meeting

Zoning Administrator: Andy Veenstra: one building permit issued

Township Board representative: Tom Cooper highlighted items from Township board minutes

Planning Consultant: Claire Karner, Beckett & Raeder:


8. Old Business:

  1. Campground SUP documentation Finding of Facts document reviewed for Cooper’s camping application

  2. comment on draft noise ordinance language.

  3. Noise Ordinance: MMS by Parafin, Austin to have Township Board look at and comment on draft noise ordinance language. MC (language attached)

  4. Transmission and Communication Towers – Discussion on cleaning up ordinance language. Claire will bring proposal for July meeting. A map of existing towers was discussed,

  5. Update on Short Term Rental guideline development – Steve Parafin will be meeting with Lee Wollgast to continue process

  6. MTA Training, May 24, 2017 in Gaylord – Planning Commission members who attended felt it was very worthwhile

f). Discussion continued on SUP for Sand and Gravel Extraction No decision will be made until August. A number of public comments were made by those in attendance, with almost all not in favor of granting the SUP.  There was not a consensus on the board to either grant or deny the SUP.  Therefore, a working group of Steve Parafin and Joni Wieland will develop potential language of conditions that could be attached to the SUP to allow final discussion and a decision at the August BTPC meeting.

9. New Business/ announcements/correspondence:

  1. Proposed language regarding shipping containers as storage units—Revisions to existing ordinances: Consultant Karner will bring new wording for the definitions and general provisions, with suggestions of stipulations to the July meeting.

  2. MTA Handbook: Don Miles checked to see which members had the handbook, and will try to get copies for all

10. Next Meeting: July 11, 2017


11. Adjournment: at 9:30







____________________________________ ___________________________________

Joni Wieland, sec’y Irene Shooks, rec/sec



2